18 March 2010

2010 Reading


Knockout
Interviews with Doctors who are Curing Cancer and
How to Prevent Getting it in the First Place
by
Suzanne Somers

I highly recommend this book. Everyone should read it. The first chapter contains some profanity, however, apart from that it is full of important information that is not crazy, but true.
~Sarah

"This book was written to warn patients to think and look into alternatives first, before you blindly walk into 'standard of care' surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, and harsh aftercare drugs. Again and again, we have seen so many suffer from horrible poisons and, unfortunately, most often live out their last months of life horribly degraded, only to die a tortured, expensive death."

"Were there to be a cure, it would put an end to all the marches and the research dollars, and most of all a big huge chemotherapy business to the tune of $200 billion a year."

from the epilogue:


"Remember what you have learned from this book: there are doctors who are healing in another way. And maybe, just maybe, if you are ever in this horrible situation, these doctors might give you the hope, comfort, and healing that I was able to garner when I thought my life depended on them."

"I learned a tremendous amount from all these conversations, and now, as a result, I am armed with the knowledge that if I were ever to find myself diagnosed again, I would know what to do; I wouldn't be afraid. I now know that I can manage cancer and that I can possibly be cured of cancer."


Miniatures and Morals
The Christian Novels of Jane Austen
by
Peter Leithart

"For Austen, the sensational or extraordinary do not provide a sound basis for moral education and experience. Hers is not a 'lifeboat ethics' focusing on the marginal extremes of ethical decisions. On the contrary, she recognizes that the greater ethical challenges come in the midst of daily life, precisely when 'nothing is happening.'"


Betsy's
Winterhouse
by
Carolyn Haywood

"Betsy looked at the summerhouse, all boarded up for the winter. She thought of the fun that she and her little sister Star and all their friends had had in the long summer days."
"That evening at dinner, Betsy said, 'I wish we could have a winterhouse.'"

No comments: