10 August 2009

Camping Post Two ~ GF, CF Puppy Chow Recipe

My mom helped me make this recipe. It is really good and a fun treat to take camping.


Gluten and Casein Free Puppy Chow


Recipe from Special Diets for Special Kids Two by Lisa Lewis, Ph.D.

1/2 cup peanut or other nut butter


1/2 cup CF margarine (we used Earthbalance)


6 ounces GF/CF chocolate chips (we used a bag of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips)


10 cups Rice or Corn Crunch Ems cereal (an entire box of gluten free Rice Chex is what we used)


2 cups powdered sugar (ours were a little sticky, but still very sweet with 1 cup)


Melt peanut butter, butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan over medium heat. Pour over cereal, being sure that all cereal is coated.


Put 2 cups powdered sugar in a large paper bag. Put cereal in bag and shake gently until all cereal is coated. Pour out on wax paper to cool. (or mix all in a large bowl rather than in bag)


~

While camping I cooked most of my meals in aluminum foil in the fire. Place desired veggies, meat and seasoning in a couple layers of foil, wrap up and place on hot coals. I pull mine out and check it once in a while until it is done. Tin foil meals are simple and delicious.



One morning I warmed apricots and blueberries in my little cast iron skillet and added them to my cereal. The blue speckled tea kettle is my favorite camping accessory and I made tea almost everyday.

"If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are exhausted, it will calm you." ~William Gladstone

No comments: