08 August 2009

Camping Post One

Sunday, August 2, I headed north to a campground on Lake Leelanau and stayed two nights with my cousin Jennifer and her family. On the way there I stopped in Traverse City to visit a store that I found last year. My friend Anna and I were attending the Michigan National Guard Family Program Conference. While walking downtown we came upon this store called Diversions. Their slogan is "You're not fully dressed without a hat." I was excited to stop there again and of course found a hat to take home.

On Monday Dave, Jennifer, Zac, Rian and I walked a hiking trail to Lake Michigan in search of Petoskey stones.





From Lake Leelanau I traveled to Leelanau State Park on the tip of the Leelanau Peninsula and stayed for three nights. From my campsite I was able to watch the sun set and rise on Lake Michigan. The view was worth no showers or flush toilets. Wednesday I went sightseeing and stopped at The Bells of Christmas Farmers Market, an herb store, Peterson Park and Christmas Cove. Reading the Virginian by Owen Wister, watching sail boats and listening to the waves hit the shore kept me occupied on Thursday. At least once a day I walked the trail along the shore that passes by the Grand Traverse Lighthouse which is located next to the campground.



Yesterday morning I packed up early and started home. As L.M. Montgomery writes in Anne of Green Gables, "I've had a splendid time, she concluded happily...But the best of it all was the coming home."



No comments: