02 May 2011

2011 Reading

North and South
by
Elizabeth Gaskell

"If the world was full of perplexing problems she would trust, and only ask to see the one step needful for the hour."

"Thinking has, many a time, made me sad, darling; but doing never did in all my life."

"But I should say that the child was getting a better and simpler, and more natural education stopping at home, and helping her mother, and learning to read a chapter in the New Testament every night by her side, than from all the schooling under the sun."

"And now she had learnt that not only to will, but also to pray, was a necessary condition in the truly heroic."


1 comment:

Trina said...

Sarah - thank you for visiting and following my blog! Your's is lovely - I love your reading lists and quotes. You have inspired me to go beyond the Elizabeth Gaskill movies and read the books.