28 January 2011

Arctic Expedition

gathering supplies



mapping our route




leaving for the Arctic
3:00pm, January 27, 2011
Miranda and Noah had already trekked across field, through woods and over water with their supplies and a bale of straw.



thanks to the Burke family for the tip of putting straw under the tent and tying the tent to logs rather than using stakes.



preparing tin foil dinners


our storage area


Friday morning...we stayed out ALL night!

Many thanks to our home base director. She provided support to our expedition. Including delivering extra supplies, visiting and reading us a chapter from an Arthur Ransome book. Winter Holiday tells the story of another Arctic adventure.

Since our travels took us to the Arctic we read about the wildlife that lives there. Here are links to read about the Arctic Fox and Polar Bear. Our favorite picture from the Arctic is of the USS Honolulu with three polar bears approaching the starboard bow...




This file is a work of a sailor or employee of the U.S. Navy, taken or made during the course of the person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, the image is in the public domain.

6 comments:

ramona said...

How fun to do something out of the ordinary! Visiting the Arctic Circle is not on my bucket list. But is always fun to read and hear about someone else adventure. I did go!!!! I was the director!

Anonymous said...

I bet they will never forget that night ( or you!). What a great way to learn about the Arctic! :)

Marci Burke said...

What an awesome adventure for all of you :) Looks like you had a great time!

April said...

wow! better you than me. I can not believe that you lasted all night. what a great way to learn.

colleen said...

I am very proud of all of you. I would have froze to death. I wish I was as daring as all of you! You are brave souls.

Aunt Theresa said...

Sarah,
It's taken me a few days to leave a comment to this post because quite frankly, I am simply amazed! What a complete blessing Miranda and Noah are to you and what a special friend they have in you! You are so adventurous and such a wonderful friend and inspiration! It is you who is the inspiration my friend! I love that you were willing to leave your comforts of home for these special ones and head all the way to the Artic! It is a time they will never forget! I love it!!!