12 January 2010

A Tribute to God's Providential Provision Part 1

Three years ago I was very ill. My blood work was so bad I was told there was nothing to be done. I remember my mom sleeping on my floor and at the foot of my bed listening for any sound I made. It was exhausting for me to speak a single word. My dad brought me a hospital bed and other home health care supplies I needed from Airway Oxygen where he works. Our friend Marigene checked into getting hospice and gave of her knowledge from many years experience as a nurse. As we prayed I would live we also prepared for me to die. And so I set about planning my funeral. In the midst of the pain, tears and constant struggle to get better I did enjoy planning my funeral. Pastor Brian Spencer from Calvary Baptist Church in Battle Creek and my friend Bob Hegerberg from Farley-Estes & Dowdle Funeral Home graciously came to our home to assist me. Funerals can be expensive, but having read enough to know it doesn't take a lot to bury someone I wanted mine to cost as little as possible. My Aunt Colleen was going to take care of printing a funeral program, my coffin would travel in my dad's truck and my brothers along with our friend Ricky and my friend Tim would lower my coffin into the ground with ropes. Ropes worked in the wild west and they would work for us. There were only two things remaining to secure: a grave and a coffin.

My friend Anna and I had visited a home church shortly before I became ill. The ladies of that church kindly visited bringing gifts and praying with me. Kimberly let me know that her husband digs graves. I imagine it was awkward to offer such information, however, I was elated. I was going to die. I needed a grave. God provided.

The Burke family had been helping us by picking up needed items, cleaning, and doing other things for my mom. Marci often called to see if we needed anything. Brian, Andrea and Allison brought me gifts and notes and read aloud to me. Mr. Burke offered to build my coffin. Again, I was elated. I was going to die. I needed a coffin. God provided.

Within a short time I had everything I needed for a funeral. God knew I wouldn't need a funeral at that time, but I didn't know and in His mercy His provision was complete. When death appeared so close it was a comfort to know my funeral plans were set.

This summer Marci Burke mentioned to my mom that she thinks of me when she sees their library shelves. This puzzled my mom until Marci explained that their library shelves are built with the wood Mr. Burke had set aside for my coffin. When Mr. Burke offered to build my coffin I checked that off my list assuming when I died he would throw something together. However, he had taken the time to set aside wood and they had purchased a book on how to build coffins. It may be a small detail, but to me it is a vivid example of God's provision.
It seems a fitting use for those boards to now hold books as reading is a delight of mine. I was expecting to die and yet every night, "I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me." Psalm 3:5

No comments: