09 September 2009

Fresh Figs


Last summer my mom and I visited Jacob and Jessie in Florida. During our stay Jessie took me to the farmer's market where I purchased my first fresh figs. There is no way to describe the delicious flavor of a fresh fig. Since that time I have waited with great anticipation for the opportunity to taste another fig. When I walked into Whole Foods last week I was delighted to see little baskets filled with figs. Besides eating the fresh figs we added them to smoothies and I made mom a salad with figs, heirloom tomatoes and fig vinaigrette. I also made a sauce for our pork chops -from happy pigs that lived without hormones and antibiotics. To make the sauce puree figs with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sea salt and agave nectar in the food processor.

No comments: