24 October 2010

For Noah

My neighbors have four children. Two boys, a girl and then Noah. The two oldest boys were always my pals. When they lived right next door I would hear little feet running through the house to wake me up or they would run down to greet me when I returned home from work. They are extra special since they were the first little ones I babysat. I have a "diamond" ring from one of them and a marriage proposal from both. I'm saving that ring to give to a future bride. Now that they are not so little they still occasionally honor me with their presence to play a game, help make carrot juice and even give up a day of spring break to go to an IV appointment with me.

Their sister Miranda has spent many Friday nights at my house. We like to sew, bake, watch movies and read together. She is always willing to feed the bunnies and goats and lend a helping hand with Knightly. Miranda is wonderful company and
I look forward to her visits.

Then came Noah. Noah and I did not get off to a good start. When he was with me it was because everyone else was g
oing to school or work. He did not want to be left behind and he did not want anything to do with me. Eventually we reached a mutual agreement to tolerate each other. After enough time spent walking to his grandma's or my mom's, going to the zoo, riding the train and watching Signing Time we started to enjoy each others company a little more and then a little more until we forgot about the rough start. Now Noah is a frequent visitor. We read books, watch old John Wayne movies and play with Knightly. I don't think I will get a marriage proposal, but the hugs and kisses he gives are more than enough. In August Noah had his sixth birthday. For my cowboy friend I made a cowboy pillowcase, pajama pants and a bandanna. Here are pictures of those items and pictures taken at his party.

3 comments:

ramona said...

Then came Noah. Is that a song? It is nice he does like to cuddle, when he takes a moment for down time!

Aunt Theresa said...

I'm so glad you have such special neighbors with wonderful memories! You are so good to them. Love the cowboy items you made. :) So sweet and thoughtful!

colleen said...

Sarah, I think Noah will be your friend for life and someone you can count on when others might drift away. He might not give you a marriage proposal but I bet if you were in a tight squeeze he would be right there to help. Now that is the kind of long lasting relationship everyone needs. Give him a hug for me.