19 January 2010

A Tribute to God's Providential Provision Part 2

On a January morning in 2007 I decided I need a gaby, which is an IV I had received at Born Clinic years ago. I had forgotten about Born Clinic, but the Holy Spirit prompted me and I was convinced that an IV was all I needed to heal. Although that was naive it was also God's providence. I could handle getting an IV. I could not handle knowing everything that would happen throughout the year. God mercifully gave me one step at a time. When I called Born Clinic they scheduled me a few weeks out with Dr. Born. Not confident I would live that long I called again and was given an earlier appointment with Dr. Hendricks. Marigene Betts drove my mom and I to that first appointment and took me several other times. Dr. Hendricks told me that everyone has a chance and I didn't have to do anything I didn't want to. Those two statements were precisely what I needed to hear and gave me confidence and trust in Dr. Hendricks. His credentials are better than any patient could ask for and yet the fact that he was willing to work with what I was willing to do was what meant the most to me. Dr. Hendricks proved himself to be a knowledgeable and excellent doctor.

I began vitamin c IVs and nutritional IVs with trips to Born Clinic three times a week.. My mom drove through Michigan's fierce winter weather. When we had vehicle problems friends and family loaned us a vehicle. Several of my friends as well as my brothers, their wives and my dad took a turn driving me to Born. My friend Anna took me every Friday for a few months. Those Friday's were not a pleasant time to be with me as the vitamin c IVs often made me ill. Anna did not shy away from any task in taking care of me. My mom used those days to wash my sheets and catch up on household chores.

The IV room at Born is staffed by Liza and Kim who took excellent care of me. Dr. Hendricks received a call from them almost every time I had a vitamin c IV. None of them complained, but quickly took care of everything. Liza and Kim answered many questions and made every effort to see I was well taken care of. If you have to be poked they are the ones to have around. Liza and Kim have always been compassionate and thoughtful.

In April I started UV treatments along with the IVs. Dr. Hendricks sent me to a surgeon and I had various tests at Metro Health Hospital. In July I was admitted to the hospital. When I left I was put on TPN IVs at home. Over the next few months I was in the hospital a few times and had surgery in September and December. God gave me a great surgeon in Dr. Ryan Figg who was always very good to me. The staff at Metro Hospital took great care of me. Rita in the radiation department and Mary and my other nurses were most kind.

Throughout that time I continued nutritional IVs at Born Clinic as well as acupuncture. Acupuncture has been extremely beneficial. When I first went to Born I was in a wheel chair and not able to move my right leg. With acupuncture I was able to walk a little more after every treatment. Dr. Wong was at the Born Clinic the first several months. After he retired I started acupuncture treatments with Arkadiy. After my first surgery I went through withdrawals from pain medication. This was a miserable time in my life. I was shaking and not able to sleep for a couple of weeks. After acupuncture I slept for six hours. It was wonderful. Since then Arkadiy has helped me with any problem and has been invaluable to my recovery.

When I became ill I wanted to go abroad for treatment. I was not interested in the painful and invasive treatments common in America. Financially it was not an option to travel to another country. However, it wasn't necessary. God gave me the most excellent care in the world just over an hour drive from my home. To Dr. Hendricks, Arkadiy, Liza, Kim and the entire staff at Born Clinic I will always be immeasurably grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sarah! I'll give you a clue as to who I am. You babysit me and I love to type stories. Got a good guess? :):):) I hope that I'll get to see you again soon. Maybe I could send you one of my stories?
:):):):)

Sarah Tressia said...

Yes, send me some of your stories Saydi! My email is sarahtressia@gmail.com I am going to send you a snail mail letter. :)