15 September 2009

Apple Pie


My mom and I made apple pie this evening. I didn't eat the entire pie, although I would like to. Our apples are locally grown at Old MacDonald's Farm. If you are in the area their place is worth a visit.

The following recipe makes the best gluten and casein free pie crust. It comes from Special Diets for Special Kids by Lisa Lewis.

GF Double Crust

1 1/4 cup rice flour

1 tsp salt (I use 1/2 tsp sea salt)

2/3 cup shortening

1/2 cup ice water

1 TB potato flour (potato flour, not starch)

Combine rice flour and salt in mixing bowl or food processor. Cut in shortening or use short pulses to achieve a dough comprised of pea size dough bits.


Using a whisk add potato flour to ice water. I put the water in the freezer while I mix the flour and shortening. Make sure you add the potato flour to the water and not the other way around.

Add the potato-ice water mixture to rice flour mixture. Use short pulses and process only until the dough forms a ball. If working by hand, pour the water mix over the flour and work in with a spoon. Remove from bowl and knead gently only until smooth. Do not over mix.

With wet hands pat dough into bottom and sides of pie pan. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Add pie filling then pat remaining dough between hands and place on top of filling. Bake pie as directed.

No comments: